Barra Fort (Ílhavo)
Barra de Aveiro Fort, also known as the ‘Pombaline’ Fort, the New Fort and Gafanha Castle, was part of a group of Joanine fortresses built between 1642 and 1648. Its position was aimed at reinforcing the borders of the kingdom. It was built in the 17th century, during the post-Restoration period. In the 19th century, the fortress lost its defensive and strategic importance, and was decommissioned from military use.
It was still used as a landmark to guide the entry of boats into the Barra (shoal) de Aveiro, only losing this function when the Barra Lighthouse was built.